Monday 30 May 2016

What You Need to Know about Copywriting







Until a few months back, two or three actually, I never seriously thought of copy writing as a vocation. I just wrote for the fun of it.

A friend who had read my light-hearted blog posts contacted me to help out with crafting copies for his new firm's marketing campaign because the 'Pro' he contracted his digital marketing to was pressed for time and could not get any copy-writer to handle this for them.

And so, my sleeping copy writing side was awaken, by 'accident'. 
Even though it was my first attempt at copy writing (without any formal training), I got rave reviews of the first set of copies I crafted for the firm and now, the sky is just the starting point.

I do not want to keep this 'new discovery' to myself, I want you to come with me on this journey too.

If you were me a couple of months ago and if you would like to take your writing beyond blogging or copying / pasting, then the resources I am going to be sharing here are just the right fit for you.

Think of what pleasure can come from turning your hobby into a money-spinning venture without start-up capital or setting up cost.
That is where I am, right now. 

Because copy writing is a huge field of opportunity, still under-explored. 

This is just to let you know that Copy Writing is the next big thing. You can do it too.
Well, it takes some works to master the art because it really is an art, but we are already artists, ain't we?

Word artists. Word crafters. Wordsmiths.
Like every artist, perfection comes with practice.
That picture is just to whet your appetite and I hope I succeeded.

So, let us get straight into it. 

What exactly is Copywriting?

Copy writing is the art of creatively putting words together, targeted at an audience in order to promote a product and elicit positive responses or call to actions.

Whew. 
While that is one heck of a long-winding definition but that is pretty much what comes to my mind when I think of copy writing which I do very often now.

To break it down, copy writers are warriors on the marketing field. 

Just that we are armed with words rather than the shiny images of swords, shields and helmets that come to your mind when you think of warriors.
Copywriting is written content conveyed through online media and print materials. Copy is a content primarily used for the purpose of advertising or marketing. This type of written material is often used to persuade a person or group as well as raise brand awareness. -Wikipedia 
Copywriters come up with materials for email campaigns, they are responsible for texts displayed in brochures, flyers, billboards, etc.

What You Need to Know About Copywriting:

  • Copywriting is entirely different from copyright or copyright laws
  • Copywriters have areas of specialization or niches, e.g medical, tech, etc 
  • Copywriters can adopt any stance or voice in getting their messages across
  • Copywriters write in order to get people to take action
  • Content writers write to inform
  • Copy writers can also function as content writers
  • Copy writers work with words, daily

What do Copywriters do?

What exactly are the job descriptions of copywriters? 

Copywriters:

  • Research
  • Write
  • Edit
  • Proof read
  • Get involved in marketing campaigns
So, there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment